We collect information about you for a number of reasons. The information we collect and how we use it differs depending on our relationship with you and the way or the reason you are interacting with us. We only collect the information we need either to provide you with services you’ve requested or for our own legitimate business needs, like keeping our website working smoothly. We will always comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993.
Unless otherwise specified below, all the information we collect will be collected directly from you. Any information you give us will be stored securely and only used appropriately.
If you visit and browse our website, we will log information about how you got to our website, where you go within the website and any features you might use while browsing.
If you ask us to contact you, we will collect the information you provide to us on our online form including your name, email address and phone number. This information is used to contact you and respond to any questions, comments or feedback you send us.
If you sign up to our mailing list we will collect personal information, such as your name, email address and phone number. We do this by asking you to enter your details into an online form on our website. We use this information to send you updates or news from time to time.
You can unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by clicking on the link on any of our update emails.
We welcome and encourage questions. If you send us a question via our website, we ask you to provide personal information such as your name, email address and phone number. We do this by asking you to enter these details into an online form on our website. We use this information to respond to your questions.
If you interact with us on social media – if you follow, like, comment or mention us on social media we will have access to your interactions and your profile information. We get this information from our interaction with you or from the social media platform and we will still have access to this information even if you remove your interaction later. We, or these social media providers, may use this information to analyse and track usage, how people interact with our content and to deliver targeted advertising. We may also use this information to communicate with you.
If you receive our services, we will collect from you and other third parties (such as lenders and credit reporting agencies) personal information such as your:
- Full name and date of birth.
- Address, phone number and email address.
- Income, expenses, banking history, bank statements and bank account details.
- Insurance information.
- Credit record.
- Employment details including employer and type of work.
Why is the personal information collected, used or disclosed?
We may use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes to:
- Communicate with you.
- Assess your financial position and application.
- Introduce and match you with lenders.
- To assist lenders to put in place and administer any loan or security with you.
- Assist us to provide information and services to you.
- Offer a service or market a product to you that is either our product or a product that we market or administer, including targeted marketing.
- Support our internal processes such as quality control, record keeping and auditing.
- Conduct research to improve our services.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
Who we disclose your information to
We will only disclose your information in a way that’s consistent with the purposes for which the information was collected to:
- Credit reporting agencies, including Illion, for identity verification, credit reporting (including for comprehensive credit reporting) and monitoring services.
- Any third party that provides services to us including but not limited to professional adviser, insurers, or any other person or organisation authorised by you, who has agreed to only collect, hold, use and share your personal information for the purposes for which it has been given to them.
- Lenders to assist lenders to decide whether they will provide you with a loan and to put in place and administer any loan or security with you.
- Government agencies and regulators if required or authorised by law.
- Dispute regulation schemes.
- Our professional advisers.
- Our related group entities.
Protecting your information
We understand that privacy is important to you. We use reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by:
- Restricting access to personal information stored on our systems.
- Imposing confidentiality requirements on our employees.
- Requiring that our contractors and agents take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Ensuring industry standard security measures are implemented such as firewalls, virus protection and password protection.
- Restricting and controlling access to our offices and sites.
We use reputable, secure cloud-based providers for information storage. These providers may be located outside New Zealand. Our providers use industry best practice to keep your information safe from unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, misuse and loss through both physical security at datacentres and infrastructure security such as firewalls and encryption.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary under the law or for the purposes for which we gathered the information. Once your personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed.
If you believe that Genie Finance has breached the Privacy Act, please contact our Privacy Officer at the address below. We may ask you to put your complaint in writing. We aim to resolve complaints in a reasonable time, usually within 30 days. We may contact you to request further information in order to provide you with a complete response. If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at:
Access and correction
You have the right to access or correct personal information we hold about you. To access or correct information, to notify us of a breach of the Privacy Act or if you have any privacy related inquiries, please contact: